One of my favorite things about spring and summer is the delectable and sweet fruit in season. I’m a huge fruit eater, you certainly don’t have to twist my arm to get my daily servings in, and I appreciate any and all recipes that call for them. I came across this recipe in an attempt to add another dish into our dinner rotation and since the weather is starting to warm up and we’re trying to lighten things up around here, it seemed perfect. It’s a beautiful dish, the colors are brilliant, and it’s super easy. The best part? The pineapple. Hands down, the pineapple.
My husband whipped this up tonight, and we enjoyed it while up on our roof deck taking in the beautiful views of Beantown.
The list of ingredients looks long because it’s broken up into two sections, but it’s not bad I promise. Also, would recommend doing the avocado dressing first and letting it sit while you grill the salmon and pineapple.
Ingredients for Salmon/Pineapple:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh basil, plus some sprigs, for garnish
- 1 ½ teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon, plus some sprigs, for garnish
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Four 4-ounce skinless salmon fillets, each about 1 inch thick
- Four ½-inch-thick round slices (rings) of pineapple, preferably fresh
Ingredients for Avocado Dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (from 1 large lemon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons finely chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon anchovy paste, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, smashed
- ½ avocado, diced
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill.
- Whisk the oil, chopped basil, chives, chopped tarragon, salt and pepper in a small bowl to blend. Brush the salmon and pineapple slices with the herb mixture.
- Cook the salmon until barely cooked through and still pink inside, about 4 minutes per side. Cook the pineapple until slightly charred, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer 1 pineapple slice to each plate and arrange a piece of salmon slightly overlapping it. Spoon 2 tablespoons of the Avocado Dressing over each piece of fish. Garnish with basil and tarragon sprigs and serve.
- Combine the lemon juice, basil, chives, olive oil, tarragon, anchovy paste if using, salt, pepper, garlic and avocado in a food processor. Add 2 tablespoons of water and process until smooth. Cover the dressing and let stand for at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour for the flavors to blend.
Makes 4 servings.