Anyone close to me can tell you, I love awards shows. Give me gorgeous people dressed in stunning outfits, a hilarious host, and some shiny gold trophies, and I’m all in. To make the night even more fabulous, I always order greasy Chinese food and pour myself a huge glass of wine to accompany it. This is my happy place, judge away.
This year, however, I broke with tradition in order to honor our commitment of healthy eating this month. I decided that instead of ordering Chinese food I was going to make a healthy version of it myself. And as for my big glass of wine, I’m doing “dry January” so I had to nix that too. But I’ll tell ya, I was on such a high watching all the men and women wear black in solidarity and listening to the amazing activists, that I barely noticed a glass wasn’t in my hand.
I’ve been wanting to make a dish with cauliflower rice for some time now. So when I found this cauliflower fried rice recipe on Pinterest by iowa girl eats, I knew I found my red carpet dish. It took all of 20 minutes to put together and was very filling. For all you gluten free folks out there, this one is for you too! Also a great meal to throw together for a healthy lunch the next day. The only thing I would change next time is adding some shrimp or another protein to add some more flavor and texture.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil with eggs in a bowl then whisk to combine and set aside.
- Chop cauliflower head into big chunks then send through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment. You’ll want to end up with 4 cups so keep grating until you get that. Note: I had no idea how to use the grating attachment on my Cuisinart food processor. We found this youtube video (go to 3:45) and figured it out. Alternatively you could grate the cauliflower on a box grater.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add cauliflower, green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables then stir fry until cauliflower is just beginning to turn tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then continue to stir fry until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Push mixture to the sides of the wok to create an opening in the center then add the eggs and scramble.
- Toss mixture to combine then drizzle in gluten-free Tamari/soy sauce and mix again to combine. Serve hot.