Well, it’s good to be back. After one of the busiest summers of my life, this blog got put on the back burner – which is a shame because it’s something that I really love to do! However, between school, work, travel, Giada puppy, and just life in general, some things had to give. So here I am, back at it and ready to share some new and easy recipes with you!
I recently came across this recipe in Food & Wine Magazine and got so excited about it because I love every single ingredient that goes into it. Plus, with summer coming to a close (sigh) I’m trying to do it up as much as possible with delicious summer ingredients. This dish came together very quickly, it’s gorgeous, and it’s great to make for a group of people or just yourself! Also, I used my spiralizer to get the zucchini the way that I wanted it.
- 3/4 cup walnut halves
- 4 cups packed arugula leaves (4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated garlic
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 12 ounces pappardelle
- 3 firm, fresh medium zucchini and/or yellow squash very thinly sliced lengthwise on a mandoline or spiralizer
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pappardelle until al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the walnuts over moderately low heat until golden (about 5 minutes). Finely chop 1/2 cup of the walnuts; coarsely chop the rest for garnish.
- In a food processor, pulse 2 cups of the arugula until finely chopped; scrape into a large bowl and stir in the 3/4 cup of olive oil, the garlic, grated cheese and finely chopped walnuts. Season the pesto with salt and pepper.
- Add the al dente pasta to the pesto in the bowl.
- Add the zucchini and toss to evenly coat.
- Stir in the lemon juice and the remaining 2 cups of arugula and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer the pasta to a platter, drizzle with olive oil and garnish with the coarsely chopped walnuts and cheese shavings.
Makes 4-6 servings.